Leftover Turkey: Creamy Chipotle One Skillet Pasta
Leftover Turkey: Creamy Chipotle One Skillet Pasta is super easy, budget friendly, hearty and comes together in less than a half an hour.
- 1/2 lb cooked turkey [or chicken] cut into ~1″ chunks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz package pre-sliced crimini mushrooms (baby bellas) or slice whole ones
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 14.5oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 pint half and half
- 8 oz dried spaghetti or linguine
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely minced or two peppers if you desire a little more heat and smoky flavor
- 2 cups baby spinach and arugula blend or can choose to use one or the other
- 1 chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano (or other variety) to grate for garnish
In a large, deep skillet (think wok-ish) add the olive oil over medium heat and add sliced mushrooms. Saute until soft. Add minced garlic and cook an additional 2-3 minutes (do not allow garlic to burn). Add the flour and stir quickly with a silicone spatula to blend with any oil that is left and coat all of the mushrooms and garlic.
Slowly add the broth and half and half while gently whisking. Break the dried pasta in half and add to skillet (I know! Scandalous!). The consistency will seem very watery; however, the starch from the pasta (along with the flour you added earlier) will thicken the sauce. Do not add more pasta than suggested. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente (take care not to overcook the pasta). Add the minced chipotle and stir. Remove skillet from heat. Add the greens and gently stir until wilted.
Serve in shallow bowls and grate parmesan on top as desired.
TIPS: There are several ways you can modify this recipe. You could use half the amount of mushrooms and twice the amount of poultry if desired. Mushrooms are an inexpensive way to “stretch” protein in the dish. Don’t like or can’t find criminis? You can use white button mushrooms, but the texture will be softer and they will release a little more liquid.
If you want to shed some calories, you could use more stock and less half and half – just be certain to use the same total amount of liquid.
Don’t have chipotle peppers handy? Skip them and add 1 tsp course ground black pepper and 1 tsp paprika instead.