Grilled Curry Chicken Pizza
Full disclosure: I received complimentary products from Fire & Flavor. All opinions are my own. This recipe for Grilled Curry Chicken Pizza is my creation.
I’ve been sampling several of Fire & Flavors great products lately (wood chucks, starters, grilling planks, variety of spice blends, and more) and loving them. I recently received their Chicken Rub and was thrilled at the curry and chilies flavor profile that was in the bottle. I think the rub would be great on pork, salmon, seafood, lamb as well as chicken of course. I was inspired by upcoming Pi Day to try to create a pizza using Fire & Flavor’s Chicken Rub…and guess what? It really worked! I love it when “experiments” turn out well. 🙂 The Grilled Curry Chicken Pizza was a huge hit in my house and I received many compliments. [blush] Are you ready to try?
- 1 – 8 oz can no salt tomato sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (drained in small bowl for one hour on paper towels)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (crushed and rolled in-between fingers to release oils)
- 1 tsp Fire & Flavor Chicken Rub
Blend all ingredients together and let sit for at least 4 hours (overnight is even better).
- 1/2 lb chicken strips (I used strips to get better spice coverage)
- 2 tbsp Fire & Flavor Chicken Rub
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Store bought pizza crust (I used a 12 in Boboli Traditional one this time; you of course can make your own; buy frozen dough from the market; procure some from you local pizzeria – cooking method will be different depending on your choice; follow instructions provided*)
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (remove seeds if you want to reduce heat)
- 2 cups finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh cilantro for garnish
Preheat outdoor grill to ~375°F (you could use an indoor oven if you choose; however, you won’t get the tasty smokey flavor and slight char).
Place chicken, olive oil, and rub in a plastic bag. Shake and move around to coat all chicken pieces thoroughly and evenly. Let sit at room temperature for ~30 minutes.
Grill chicken tenders until they reach a temperature 165F. This should only take about 3-4 minutes per side [may vary]. You will know the chicken is ready to be flipped when it easily releasing itself from the grates. Remove chicken from grill when cooked.
Place a grill safe pizza stone on grates and close the lid. Heat grill back to
Let chicken set for 5 minutes to retain moisture. Slice into chunks.
Okay, now you’re ready to assemble the Grilled Curry Chicken Pizza.
Place crust on a pizza spill (if you have one; if not it’s a great piece to add to your kitchen). Pour sauce on crust distributing evenly, allowing for about 1/2 inch edges. Spread shredded cheese evenly. Add chicken chunks, sliced shallots, and sliced jalapeños.
Quickly slide pizza off of spill and onto pizza stone. Quickly close grill lid. *Cook time with vary depending on what type of crust you used. If you choose Boboli as I did, allow to cook for ~ 10 minutes. Open lid and check bottom crust. You will know the pizza is ready when all the cheese has melted and vegetables have shrunk a bit. If additional time is needed, be sure to check every minute to make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove from grill when done.
Add cilantro for garnish and flavor. Slice and serve!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my friend’s did. Please let me know how yours turned out and if you have any ideas about adding additional ingredients or tips for other cooks. I think next time I might use naan bread in lieu of traditional pizza crust. 😉 Lastly, remember to always have fun in the kitchen! 🙂