Dawn’s Fall-bo – Easy gumbo recipe!
I came up with this “Dawn’s Fall-bo – Easy gumbo recipe!” one year when trying to figure out more things to do with all the leftover Thanksgiving turkey…I had made way too much soup and pot pie filling already! So, a gumbo twist it was!
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp white flour
- 1 can unsalted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 carton (32 oz) plus 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 5 tbsp Cajun/spicy Seasoning of your choice (e.g., Mikey V’s Brok Da Mout, Todd’s Creole Dirt, Emeril’s, etc. – just be aware of level of SALT)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2-3 stalks of celery, sliced thin
- 2 handful small frozen shrimp
- 1 link Andoulle sausage
- 1 ½ cup cooked TURKEY cubed; or cooked chicken (pro tip: rotisserie makes it even easier)
- 1- 12 oz pack frozen cut okra (or more or less, as desired)
Slice Andoulle sausage at angle, approx 1/2″ thick slices – it will cook down a bit.
Place shrimp in bowl to thaw.
Rinse okra with water in a colander.
In large Dutch oven. brown both sides of sliced sausage and remove.
Leave sausage drippings and add the olive oil. Add flour. Stir well until all oils and flour is mixed – approx 3-5 minutes. Do not allow it to burn.
Slowly add all chicken broth and whisk until flour is incorporated. Work quickly to avoid lumps.
Add tomatoes with juice, and allow to cook additional 5 minutes.
Add Cajun/spicy seasoning.
Add all protein and let simmer for 30-45 minutes to allow flavors to develop.
Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
Add thawed okra and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve over white/brown rice.
I hope you enjoy “Dawn’s Fall-bo – Easy gumbo recipe!” Remember, always have fun in the kitchen!
Shop Mikey V’s online – Georgetown, TX HERE
Buy Brok Da Mout Seasoning NOW